Interested in joining a group working to increase sustainability initiatives at Penn or Wharton? Want to discuss international development? Curious about clean tech and energy? Check out these groups:
- The Wharton Energy Club – a great organization here at Wharton that is working to make Wharton the thought leader in energy. Join the club and gain full access to their events, including the annual Wharton Energy Conference.
- PennEnergy – a Center for Energy Innovation that sponsors seminars, research and more.
- PennSolar – a club to work on solar projects and research.
- Wharton Student Sustainability Advisory Board – a group helping Wharton incorporate sustainability in operations and events
- Penn Sustainability – the organization covering all of Penn’s sustainability initiatives on campus.
- wH2O: The Journal of Gender & Water at the University of Pennsylvania – the first journal of its kind, this Penn initiative is publishing an online journal dedicated to global women and water and sanitation issues. Run by graduate students, this initiative welcomes both graduate and undergraduate students. Accepting abstracts for its second issue until August 15, 2012; email email@example.com for more information.
- Penn Environmental Group – a group that works to increase environmental awareness in the Penn community.
- Penn Engineers Without Borders – an organization that aims to provide water, sanitation and other necessities to developing countries through hands-on projects. The group schedules regular travel and project management opportunities for students.
- Philadelphia Global Water Initiative – a network of Philadelphia organizations dedicated to providing expertise and help to water and sanitation projects in developing nations.
- Penn Asian Review – an open forum blog for and run by students.
If you are interested in being involved with IGEL, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below are some of the student activities that IGEL has sponsored and supported. Do you have great ideas for additional activities, or are you pursuing research in business and environmental issues? Let us know by contacting us at email@example.com.
- Kenya Updates – a team of Wharton MBA Student Volunteers that IGEL sponsored is in Kenya helping a small non-profit create viable alternatives to cutting down the forests.Click here to read the updates from the Kenya team! The students are part of the Wharton International Volunteers Program.
- Penn Elements – an online magazine on current environmental concerns published by Penn’s Environmental Studies students.
- IGEL Blog! – IGEL’s official Blog features news and articles on business sustainability. The Blog is always looking for student writers; please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in volunteering.
- Sri Lanka and India Water and Sanitation Trip – Penn Students and IGEL Faculty Advisor Stan Laskowski visited Sri Lanka and India on behalf of IGEL, Philadelphia Global Water Initiative and the Penn Master of Environmental Studies program in January 2011. The students visited sanitation and water projects funded by PGWI and area schools, as well as examined possibilities for research and partnerships.
- Banyan Water Field Application Project –the Wharton class presents its findings. This project made possible through IGEL funding.
Students at Wharton and at Penn have undertaken broad research projects on business sustainability topics. Active Penn students have started student clubs, entrepreneurial ventures, nonprofits, and have invented technological applications to address pressing global issues. For Penn student research publications, please visit the Student Research page or head to our blog. If you have done research pertaining to business sustainability, please contact us. We can feature your work here on the website.